X

Looks like you are a new visitor to this site. Hello!

Welcome to Hope For Film! Come participate in the discussion, and I encourage you to enter your email address in the sidebar and subscribe. It's free! And easy! If you have any suggestions on how to improve this website or suggestions for topics please don't hesitate to write in to any of the blogs.

You can also follow me on Twitter or Facebook.

(If you keep getting this message, you probably have cookies turned off.)

September 2 at 2:44pm

A Return To Cool: Anton Corbijn’s THE AMERICAN

By Ted Hope

Watching my business partner’s production of Anton Corbijn’s THE AMERICAN the other night, I was struck by how few truly cool American films there are.  The American is certainly one, but cool is an aesthetic that few truly dare to tread.  The cool that I refer to, is not something that is just neat or novel.  My cool differs from the way my son uses the word.

Cool is a committed style.  Cool is a discipline.  Cool embraces both content and all the elements of execution.  In a cool movie, everything other than cool is truly secondary, and ideally non-existent.  Cool movies thrive on an existential protagonist.  Cool is about the sustain and not the flash.

What are the cool American films of relatively recent vintage?

• The American
  • The Limey
  • Stranger Than Paradise
  • Out Of Sight
  • Jackie Brown

This list is far from complete.  What have I forgotten?  Yet, the real question is “why are there so few truly cool films?”.

• Digg
  • Google Bookmarks

10 Comments

1. Amos Posner / Sep 2 at 2:44pm

I always found Get Shorty genuinely cool. Is Elmore Leonard the only truly cool American writer?

2. Tim / Sep 2 at 2:44pm

I happen to think his dudeness is pretty far out…

3. JimVB / Sep 2 at 2:44pm

Oh, I don't know, because American filmmakers would rather toil in the kitchen, mumbling, maybe?

4. Liesl Copland / Sep 2 at 2:44pm

The Wackness

5. Raymond / Sep 2 at 2:44pm

Having a Dutch director helps :)

6. Ian / Sep 2 at 2:44pm

Ted – Anton Corbijn is a Dutchman living in London! The cool you perceive in The American is European!…and I gotta agree that the Big L is about as cool as it gets…'course all the Coen Bros films are produced by Working Title in London…

7. jnb / Sep 2 at 2:44pm

Cool is the problem with film. Everyone wants to be cool like Tarentino. Read this: http://screen.oxfordjournals.org/content/16/3/6.extract

8. vanrojas / Sep 2 at 2:44pm

Ghost Dog. Very cool.

9. Gregblakejohnson / Sep 2 at 2:44pm

early tarantino embraced cool. later tarantino resorts to camp.

10. Gregblakejohnson / Sep 2 at 2:44pm

christopher nolan's movies are cool. inception and memento in particular. michael mann's movies as well, but they are not primarily concerned with cool.